I have had a lifelong love affair with chocolate pie–well, with chocolate anything! My mother made the most wonderful chocolate pie in the world. I’m not sure how she made it, maybe with pudding that you cooked on the stove. But this recipe sure looks pretty good to me! Recipe: hersheys.com Photos: mine
Cook time: 5 Min
Prep time: 4 Hr
Serves: 6-8 (Prep time is for chilling)
sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 c milk chocolate chips (or dark chocolate if you prefer)
1/2 tsp salt
4 egg yolks
3 c milk
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
1 deep dish pie shell or use a 10″ pie pan
1. Bake the pie shell according to package directions; cool.
2. In a 2-qt. saucepan stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
3. In a container with a pouring spout, combine egg yolks and milk.
4. Gradually blend milk mixture into sugar mixture.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Add 1-3/4 cup chocolate chips and stir until chips are melted and mixture is well blended.
6. Pour into prepared pie shell. Press plastic wrap onto filling. Cool. Refrigerate several hours or until well chilled and firm.
7. Garnish with whipped cream and remaining chocolate chips.