Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings 8 servings
* 2 eggs beaten
* 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
* 4 tablespoons saltine crackers or bread crumbs, crushed
* 2 tablespoons dried parsley fresh works best, if you have it!
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon cream milk works fine, as well.
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 small onion chopped fine
* 4 cloves garlic minced
* 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
* 1/2 cup red wine or grape juice
* 1 teaspoon basil fresh works best, if you can.
* mozzarella cheese optional
* 2 sheets puff pastry thaw out according to the pkg
* salt and pepper, to taste.
* Heat oven to 400 degrees.
* Mix the first 6 ingredients together well. Set aside.
* In a large saucepan melt the butter. Add minced onion and mushrooms.
* Cook on medium high heat until mushrooms sweat and onions are translucent.
* Turn the heat down to medium while you add the garlic, red wine, and basil.
* Turn the heat back up to high and continue to cook until the liquid is reduced. Remove from heat. Cool.
* Lightly grease a cookie sheet or baking pan. I used parchment paper.
* On a lightly floured surface lay out the pastry sheets. Cut each sheet into 4 squares
* Spread mushroom mixture across each square. Top with thin layer of mozzarella cheese
* Put 1/2 cup of meat mixture (formed into flattened balls) on top.
* Pull corners up over meat and pinch edges together. (don’t worry if this is tricky, it is for everyone…it isn’t just you!)
* Put the bundles on a cookie sheet with seam side down. Cut small slits on top and brush the tops with cream or beaten egg.
* Bake for 30-40 minutes (at 400 degrees) or until golden brown and meat is cooked through.
* Serve with brown gravy
I made a brown gravy with the drippings from my Butter, onions and mushroom mixture adding Beef Broth for extra liquid then adding flour and water mixture with more beef broth.
I served with roasted green beans, red onions, Cherry tomatoes, garlic basted in olive oil and mashed potatoes.